Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The hat that never was..

I'm normally not a multiple posts per day person, but I just found out about this and don't want to put it with the good news post. My husband's work colleague, who is one year older than him, died of cancer today at the age of 29. He had been to MD Anderson and finally was put in hospice yesterday. Oddly enough, my Law and Psychiatry professor talked about his battle with leukemia and how great places like MD Anderson are today. I thought about "J", and hadn't in awhile.

I feel bad because "J" was a liar. Everything in life he exaggerated. He discussed having a several hundred dollar motorcycle helmet and buying all his clothes from New York, even though I saw them in Target. So when I heard he had cancer, I thought it was just another story of his. It wasn't. We didn't know him well, he came over to the house for our annual cookouts, he worked with my husband, and that was the extent of it. Still, we're young and I think this is the first non-suicide death that we've been through as a married couple.

I had purchased a hat pattern and some Debbie Bliss Cashmerino to make Jonathan a hat. I never started it. I'm going to finish it and find a place to donate it. Maybe I will make two smaller hats to send to China for orphans. I'm not sure. I've never had yarn that meant so much before, if that makes any sense. I'm going to have to think on this for a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home