Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Book Review: Debbie MacComber - A Good Yarn

I got this book from my Secret Pal from SP10 (It's hard to keep this straight now that Livejournal SP4 is going on) and I'll admit was skeptical. I am a serious reader people. I read things about regulatory mortgage compliance and jury nullification. Sounds a bit like cat yak, no? Yes, yes it does, but I love it.

Anyways, I was skeptical but put this aside for my bathtub reading. This book was so so so good. The characters came alive, the knitting quotes at the beginning of each chapter made me nod and smile in agreement. It was about sock knitting, complete with a pattern at the beginning of the book.

The book was about four women at a sock knitting class and how they worked through their problems together and became lifelong friends. My only problem was the nonrealistic ending. We're grownup women who can solve our own problems, without any fairy dust. So that's my only gripe, and I do enjoy a fairy tale, I just have to remind myself from time to time.

Apparently last month, Debbie MacComber published "Back on Blossom Street", which I think I'll have to find. It's about a prayer shawl class and sounds like a bit of a tearjerker. She also has two pattern books out as well, one focusing on charity knitting.

I am ashamed to say this was my first non-serious book since the Christmas before last when my mom gifted me a ton of chick-lit. I can't wait to pass the bar so I can get back into books, of both the serious and non-serious variety. I think though, that I shall always keep by the side of the tub, a tub book, there's always time for books.*

*Cheesiest thing I've ever typed, but I'm leaving it in for posterity.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you enjoyed this book. I am currently reading the book she wrote previous to this one (The Shop on Blossom Street). I didn't know about The Shop on Blossom Street when I bought A Good Yarn for you. You will have to read it too.

May 9, 2007 at 6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home