Thursday, May 3, 2007

Brown Recluses

Don't worry, there are no pictures. However, our house is overrun with brown recluses. Normally I consider myself a bit of a Buddhist about animal killing. Yes, usually I extend my mercy to spiders. When I was travelling in Tibet I was in a temple, which smelled of yak butter candles, incense and was so peaceful, I felt like I was dreaming. All of a sudden, a monk screamed and ran towards me. I stopped, my foot in mid-stride. There, under my foot was a little mouse, eating a crumb. He picked him up and cradled him. We had a long talk about life, there under the thousand Buddha painting. Whenever I run across a pest, I think about that moment and trap and release the critter.

However, I feel compelled to kill these little devils. Yak butter candles be damned, I find nothing worse than poisonous spiders. I'd catch and release, but they'd end up in my neighbor's garage. The pinnacle of my rage occured when I was sitting in my nightgown, drinking a hot cup of tea. I glanced down and there, on my right boob was a brown recluse. I threw the hot tea all over Mr. EarnKnittoOwnIt and screamed. So, to the monk I met in Lhasa, I'm sorry.

I hope to finish sock one of socks 2.0 this weekend. I'm into finals time and it's been rather uneventful.

2 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

It's great that you don't generally kill "pests," but I say, if the spider could kill you or your neighbors, you should probably go ahead and kill it. I hope you get rid of them soon!

May 4, 2007 at 9:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As you smash them think that perhaps that will reincarnate as something more pleasant. I hate spiders, death to them all!

May 5, 2007 at 8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home