Thursday, May 17, 2007

Underwhelming..

I finished my last final and am left with a feeling of being underwhelmed. Maybe it will sink in on Saturday when I don my jaunty doctoral tam in royal bright purple and get my diploma. Actually, I think the diploma comes in the mail and I just get the case for it.

I'm most looking forward to the afterparty. My parents are renting out half of the local Indian restaurant and we'll be enjoying some curry and naan. Yum. Hopefully there will be lots of presents. I will admit to my faults: being greedy and being mean.

I am a mean person. I did a happy dance when Jerry Falwell died. I also joked about Jeff Corwin's death last year. On the day of. That surely does not make me a nice person. However, it does make me honest. I am not sad Jerry Falwell died, and you cannot tell me that a guy who torments animals that are poisonous isn't going to get his ironically in the end. I'm not happy that Jeff Corwin died, he did amazing things for the animals and their habitats even though I thought he was careless and sometimes mean to wild animals for entertainment. I am however, on the fence about Jerry Falwell. But I'm not glad, I'm sure he had people who will miss him and I can't be happy about that. Still, I'm not sad. So that's the mean side of me.

The greedy side of me loves presents. I beg for them, I look forward to them and I pester about them. I'll even go to Target and buy myself a present, usually a tshirt. I get so much joy out of my husband coming home from Kroger with apples or my favorite magazine. It doesn't have to be big, I just love things picked out for me.

So there you go. I think it's important to be upfront about your faults. And those are my two big ones. How do they relate to knitting? Well, sometimes I think mean things about certain patterns. Usually they aren't things on blogs, but things on say, the Lion Brand website. Ahem. I have occasionally thought mean things about the socks on display at my LYS and some fun fur scarves that live in there as well. Generally, I think nice things about things knit by people I know. I even ended up liking Wendy's miter sweater, in the end. I will admit though to have mean thoughts about it during the process. There's my confession of the month. It was about the color though, not the talent or the pattern. Eventually though, the shape and the quilt-like nature won me over. That sweater looks so comfortable. I've been in a sweatshirt and pajama pant mood lately and that is the dressed up talented gorgeous version of a sweatshirt. It looks so cozy!

And greediness in knitting? I have decided one of my goals is to knit a Cookie A pattern by Christmas. I'm leaning towards Rhiannon. Bright red sock yarn... Instead of thinking about dying up some Knitpicks since it's going to take a vast amount of yarn, I think about how many pennies I'll have to save to make it out of Louet Gems or Cherry Tree Hill Supersolid. Once the brilliant frugal idea hit me thanks to my Harry Potter swap partner, the green eyed monster went away. I'm excited to dye my own yarn. There's nothing wrong with buying 1200 yards of Cherry Tree Hill or even Socks that Rock, but I need to be honest about my sock yarn budget for such a major project in the works. I have $900 in vet bills to pay off before Tick is officially ours, a car that's on the verge of dying, the rescue is always short on cash, and if I can save $30, I am sure I have something to put it towards instead of complaining about not having cash all the time.

The good thing about being a greedy knitter is that my end of the swap is very generous, it is a bit vicarious sending that package out and it feels good.

So there was my true confession. I feel better now, but still underwhelmed.

Thank you everyone for all the well-wishes. Law school is the hardest thing I've done, though I expect preparing for the bar will surpass it.

3 Comments:

Blogger starrypurplehaze said...

congratulations! and i'd say it's okay to be a little bit greedy. :)

May 18, 2007 at 1:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finishing your finals! Your sock swap partner started your socks last night and is busily knitting away while procrastinating about studying, her own finals only being half-done. Perhaps I shall teach her a clever Self-Knitting charm to place on her needles, but that might take all the fun out of making your stockings herself.

Enjoy dyeing your yarn! Please be sure to post pictures so we can all share in the oooh-ing and aaah-ing.

Sincerely,
Galinda Bixby
Head Witch of Magical Mystery
Division of Surreptitious Friendships

May 18, 2007 at 12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog. I love presents too, so don't feel bad. Oh, and by the way, Jeff Corwin isn't dead - it's Steve Irwin.

May 20, 2007 at 6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home