Monday, April 16, 2007

Frogging Earth

I recently finished sock #2 and frogged sock #1 to redo it into sock #3. While knitting with my freshly frogged yarn, I noticed how "off" it is. It doesn't twist like fresh yarn, it has the same stretch in the rib as sock #2, but something just isn't quite right from all the previous knits and purls that it held that are now no more. It's yarn, but it's not quite the same as the original.

That's what I was thinking about today as I drove home. In less than a day, a construction company bulldozed a new path off the boulevard and up into the treeline. The earth is a beautiful clay color, full of a ridiculous amount of rocks, just like my yard. It was all so quick. I'm sure the new subdivision will be pretty, but it won't be the same. It's frogged.

So that's what I was thinking about today. It's so quick to rip something out and so slow to truly create something the right way the first time...sometimes things don't fit back together.

Changing topics, the trip to Fayetteville was amazing. I have a gorgeous niece. I had a lot of fun burping her and waking up several times during the night to help with feedings. I hope I helped get her sleeping better. My sister's husband was able to sleep through the night because I was the feeding co-pilot.

The yarn store in Fayetteville, Hand Held was amazing. The house it's in is so cute, very well laid out and well stocked. The Koigu and Manos selections were incredible. I wanted to bury myself in the Blue Sky Cotton. Seriously, I have got to find patterns for all three brands of yarn. I picked up two skeins of Koigu in a very non-Camille colorway (it's a light blue one, nothing loud and parrot colored this time) and some Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool for Josh's grandma's Christmas scarf. It was 40% off and I should probably send my sister for another skein. At $4, that's a ridiculously cheap Christmas present, that I shall knit into this. I seriously am contemplating signing up for one of their classes and taking a few Saturdays up in Fayetteville to spend with them. There's a Knit-Out two weeks from now at the Square that I might try to drop in on. It's dangerously close to finals though.

Pictures to come of the niece and Koigu. My house is a disaster, so I have plenty to do besides knit sock #3, but I might just stick with the sock.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i'm so glad that you love Hand Held. It's a great place to call home. I hope that you didn't drop by the knit out and I wasn't aware of it, that would be ashame, if you didn't come, it was a blast and quite the turn out!

May 5, 2007 at 8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home